Sunday, March 11, 2007

Women Riders to Admire

I love riding. I wish I could share the joy and freedom of riding with my wife, whom I love dearly. However, she will have nothing to do with it. I patiently offer her the opportunity to ride with me, but never demand it. I hope that one day she will come around.

But in the meantime, I have come across women I have never met that I consider noteworthy if not downright admirable.




The first person I'd like to share is Tami. She started riding a restored 30 year old Yamaha last December and shared her story of learning to ride on ADVrider. She never gave up, had a great attitude and 'got it,' meaning, she understands why riding is so enjoyable. She also has great people to ride with and learn from (including a significant other). She doesn't know me as I'm merely a lost-in-the haystack lurker at ADVrider, but I applaud her anyway.



Tami's picture from ADVrider.





The second person I want to mention is Lois, a Brit who's taken a liking to world travel. She has a book coming out soon about her travels from Alaska to South America on a Yamaha XT225. From the type of trip she made to the bike of choice, Lois has guts, grit and determination - and flair (if we are to believe her story about getting past the Mexican protesters to reach the Guatemalan border). She had such a great time traveling the Americas, she decided to do Africa on a Yamaha TTR250 next! (She is already compiling stories from that adventure.)

Her website, Lois on the Loose, is engrossing and enjoyable; I spent quite a long time browsing through her ride reports, preparations, and picture galleries. She's definitely a rider to keep watch for!


Lois working on a bike. (Picture from her website).





The final person I wanted to acknowledge today is Helen, of HelenTwoWheels. Helen is a lifestyle rider who turned her passion into a business. She rides everywhere, even after an unnerving accident in 2003. She smartly observed the luggage troubles of today's riders, smartly diagnosed what needed to be done, packaged it and sold it. She makes soft luggage the way it should have been all along - smart! I admire her love of riding, her dedication to improving the sport with superior products, and finding a way to make her passion (riding) support her.


From Helen's website.

No comments: