Sunday, March 25, 2007

Grand Canyon 2006 (Part 5)

Our last full day in Arizona found us driving off to Monument Valley and Four Corners. It was a lot of driving, but we enjoyed that part of the trip. Both locations were run by Native Americans, each requiring entrance fees to drive in. A few days ago, this entire area had been blanketed by snow; now only those areas not affected by direct sunlight harbored patches of fugitive unmelted snow.

The monuments started well outside Monument Valley:

...but the monuments became more spectacular
inside the visiting area:




My father and brother soaking in Monument Valley:








Monument Valley at a glance:
Dad's gratuitous "I'm in four states at once" shot
in Four Corners:
We had a beautiful sunset that evening:

We spent one more night in Flagstaff and drove the two vehicles down to Pheonix. Dad caught a flight back to Florida there. My brother and I drove all night to arrive in San Antonio the next day. We did pass a curious spot (I don't remember where) on I-10 that was littered with white rabbits. (Remember the Matrix?) Well, a few of them had met an untimely fate. We also saw some weird cloud formations in Texas the next day. (The small pictures I have available right now don't do them any justice).

Maybe the next time I hike the Grand Canyon it will be after spring break and a bit warmer...

My sunburn from hiking the Grand Canyon:
My brother's sunburn was worse!

2 comments:

Heck Wyatt said...

Aw, my sunburn wasn't THAT bad!

Heck Wyatt said...

Heh, we exited off of I-10 looking for a gas station, and ended up getting quite a bit off of the main road, which was where all the rabbits were. As a result, I found out about the gas light in my Saturn!