Sunday, March 25, 2007

Grand Canyon 2006 (Part 4)

I spent some time wandering around Horseshoe Mesa. After spending over an hour that night coughing intensely, I was able to get some sleep. My sleeping touched the end of my tent, which filled with condensation - that froze to my sleeping bag. So my toes were very cold the next morning.





Note the higher elevations of the Southern Rim
still had snow.






Above and below: looking across the Grand Canyon
from Horseshoe Mesa.






Looking North following the Colorado River
to the horizon.


We debating staying on Horseshoe Mesa one more night. The previous afternoon after establishing camp, I wandered around the Mesa and had pretty much seen all there was to do there. I wanted to hike, but dad was opposed to going down either of the adjacent trails. We were all a little disappointed, but we decided that the best option was to hike out of the Grand Canyon that day.

Looking south following the Colorado River to the horizon.


A full moon provided plenty of light
all night long.



The morning was exceptionally cold.
Below: I donned every bit of warm clothing I had
with me and I was still cold. Nothing like lugging
a heavy pack up a steep trail to warm you up!









The Grand Canyon as we left it - with a lot less
snow than the day before!


We broke camp, packed up and began hiking back to the rim. We encountered some park rangers who were very helpful and considerate of our situation, though they frowned quite readily at diverging from out itinerary. Having explained our reasoning - and they agreed - they were willing to write us a warning instead of a citation and change our itinerary for us (which we declined).

The hike up was quick and uneventful. Much of the snow began melting. By the time we approached the rim, we were hiking on mud and rocks. The last hundred vertical feet of the hike out I began feeling unwell. This seemed strange as I outpaced the other two yesterday and much of today. By the time we were off the trail and back in the parking lot (where there was much less snow) I was feeling very tired, irritable and generally unwell. (I made my excuse to get away from the tourists wanting pictures of the "Real Grand Canyon Hikers" with as little rudeness as possible. The backpack came off. Then I became light-headed. I started coughing, a little at first and intensifying quickly. Dad got worried, but I was breathing mostly okay. I wheezed a quite bit during intense coughing for the next hour and a half. I stayed in the van while my brother and father visited some of the other overlooks. I thought to myself what a predicament I would have been had this episode happened down by the river, far away from any kind of help. The cold/flu I had about two weeks ago still had its claws in me; stressing my body this way allowed it to attack me one last time. The coughing/wheezing attacks settled down and we made our way back to Flagstaff.

Above and below: We pulled off at several stops on
Highway 64 as we approached US 89.





Below: Mountains seen from US 89 still covered in snow.

No comments: