Friday, March 2, 2007

FJR Oil

I had mentioned earlier that I had been an avid user of Motul, a French oil. That will end shortly. Even though I've used their semi-synthetic oil since 2003, I'm going to throw in the towel. When the shop's cost (now) is more that I used to pay for it at retail, even with an employee discount, it is just not economically sound. I'll soon switch to another semi-synthetic oil my shop carries.

I was paying around $6 per quart when I loaded up on the stuff (I have a gallon left). It's now running between $9 and $10 per quart at retail with a minimal markup. Contrast that with the semi-synthetic oil I buy for my truck which costs around $4 per quart at WalMart (when it is in stock, that is...)

It's also quite nice that I found a Purolator Pure One filter at Pep Boys that fits the FJR perfectly, and even when it's not on sale retails below dealer cost of a factory oil filter. One of the mechanics noticed my blue oil filter, saying that it was "pretty cool." If having a superior filter at a lower cost is pretty cool, then I can handle that.

No comments: