Sunday, March 18, 2007

Grand Canyon 2006 (Part 2)

As my brother and I drove west, we encountered a front which had covered much of the southwest with snow and ice. As we approached Arizona, conditions worsened and we were becoming tired, so we pulled over for the night.


The next morning in front of my brother's car, myself:


And my brother:

The handy GPS function of my Garmin iQue3600 told us location and velocity as we traveled.

Many of the mountain ranges off I-10 were covered in snow as we drove through southern Arizona and New Mexico.


We pulled off I-10 to examine the snow close-up.




Heading north towards Flagstaff, we detoured off I-17 to see beautiful Sedona and the gorgeous hills and mountains there.




After three days of snow, the roads were finally passable. Our timing was excellent. Our father could not get through the day before.


Sedona in the snow is beautiful.






We made our way to Flagstaff, which had a couple feet of snow accumulate. Flagstaff seemed buried from where snowplows pushed snow out of the streets. The picture below is still a ways outside of Flagstaff. Our father was surprised we took that route, thinking it longer and probably not even open. Of course, we thought, "what the heck, since we're out here..."

That's was the trip to Flagstaff. Next: hiking into the Grand Canyon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those photos are BEAUTIFUL!!-lani

The Road Runner said...

I hate to say it, but... the best is yet to come!