Monday, March 12, 2007

Wild Hogs

I just finished watching "Wild Hogs" (Official Link) starring Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, William H. Macy and the beautiful Marisa Tomei.


In a nutshell, this was a funny movie. It was long enough to have a plot, but too short to have a sore side from hard laughing.

The movie presents the premise that folks in places like Daytona and Sturgis have long known: most bikers are average guys, often professionals, that happen to ride motorcycles. This I attest to and agree with. That these guys stumbled into trouble with a biker gang... explains why this movie is a comedy. In all but very rare circumstances would a biker gang act quite like this one did. The worst attention I ever get from the 'rebel' cruiser-riding guys is a few stares or the occasional bird (a derogatory hand gesture). Most hardcore "lifestyle" riders that have a problem with "posers" just ignore the riders they don't care for.

Only once did I really feel uneasy on my Japanese bike: Myrtle Beach. I had seen plenty of sneers my direction. I had also seen pictures of these guys gathering around a bonfire started on a Japanese bike. Why doesn't anyone ever burn Harleys? But these guys are definitely fringe elements that time and distance readily cure.

I asked myself if the movie really portrayed bikers in a true light of any kind. Biker gangs? Probably not. Biker brotherhood? Pretty close. It showed that riding is hard on the body - and so is camping. You meet a lot of different - and I do mean different - people when you ride. And if you think that a splattered bug won't take out half your faceshield - think again. Big juicy bugs come out of nowhere and can practically blind you without any warning. And yeah, it's funny since it scares the daylights out of you when you hear this loud SMACK! and you suddenly can't see out of half your helmet!

I admit that I am most grateful to all the people that have welcomed me when I ride. Even when I'm 'strung out from the road.' Thank you to all the people that have been accommodating, if not understanding when I wander in to a restaurant or gas station in my "space gear" and bug splattered helmet and I just want a drink and to be left alone.

At the very end of the movie, a "real" rider explains that he rides alone because he knows what riding is about (and those he rode with had forgotten). He also recommends that you ride without a watch. Interestingly, I do both, though I never really thought about it that much.
Riding that way really allows you to connect with the world when you ride, putting behind you all those commonplace worries of day-to-day living. Letting go of all that trivial junk lets you experience real freedom. I felt refreshed seeing that in this movie. I definitely enjoyed seeing riders portrayed in a lighter light, too.

So, yeah. I'd say it's not too far off the mark after all. And it's good that we can laugh at ourselves sometimes as well, stereotypes and all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack: You're gonna pay a disobedience fee of $10,000, plus another $40,000 to rebuild the bar. If you don't, we're gonna break your friends legs here.

Dudley Frank: Don't bring the money! I'm a computer programmer! I don't need my legs!

Jack: Fine, we'll break his hands!

Dudley Frank: Oh dammit. Bring the money!

haha, yep, riders are all types of people!-lani