Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fortune Cookie

I found this in my truck:

"The person who will not stand for something will fall for anything."

Okay then, don't judge a person until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you're a mile away and you have his shoes. How's them apples?

This all seems a bit formulaic, like the Sphinx from "Mystery Men:"

The Sphinx: To learn my teachings, I must first teach you how to learn.


The Sphinx
: You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums.


The Sphinx
: He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.


The Sphinx: You must be like wolf pack, not six-pack.


The Sphinx: When you care what is outside, what is inside cares for you.


[Mr. Furious tries to balance a hammer on his head]
Mr. Furious: Why am I doing this, again?
The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
Mr. Furious: And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?
The Sphinx: [looks at the watermelon on Mr. Furious' feet] I don't remember telling you to do that.

Finally, Mr. Furious agrees with me:

Mr. Furious: Okay, am I the only one who finds these sayings just a little bit formulaic? "If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up. If you want to go left, you have to go right." It's...
The Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage...
Mr. Furious: ...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?
The Sphinx: Not necessarily.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132347/quotes

No comments: