Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Musings from the Toy Store (Part 1)

We had our first successful day of business Saturday, but we closed for Monday and Tuesday to work on inventory.

Why, you ask, would we do such a thing? I cannot share such a thing publicly, except to say that I've been having to work very hard, very well, and largely without much assistance until recently. I've done my job well and as specified, but some things are just out of my domain of influence, no matter how well (or poorly) I do them. It seems that my job should have only one result; it's only a question of how long it takes. I've done my part right, but there are other technical issues which continue to haunt us.

Now, my poor managers (I'm breaking out the violin) have been incredibly stressed out. I was stressed out until I realized that I wasn't a manager. I'll do as much as I can in my role - and I'm fulfilling my responsibility. But I can't help anyone beyond that role - and my help isn't desired. So, contrary to my instinctual desire to contribute to a working solution, I've detached myself from trying to solve the problems (though there's nothing I can do about it now except what I've been doing all along) and let those responsible for them deal with it. That makes all the overtime and just plain old work so much easier! I can't say that the attitude is right, per se, but it helps me cope.

I've finally brought the FJR to the shop twice since I started working at the new place. I park it outside the window right in front of a brand new 2007 silver FJR AE. She doesn't like it and is upset that I'm taunting her with the possibility of trading her in for a younger model. (First the XT, then the FJR, right? The garage has gotten a lot more empty lately...) Regardless, it's just plain good to ride to work again. I've had to dodge a lot of rain lately, but that's okay, too.

Now if I could just get the grass mowed...

No comments: