Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A new direction

I began to write this two weeks ago. My, where has the time gone?

With all this time I supposedly will have on my hands now (part of Sunday and Monday) - I'm starting to enjoy entire weekends, now. - I had to choose a path for the FJR. Would I sell it and reinvest the proceeds into another bike? Or would I "farkle" it until I can ride it no longer?

I decided to keep it. That was the original plan. Might as well stick with it. Cheaper and somewhat more rewarding in the end.

First step: acquire new body parts to replaced the many damaged ones on the bike. Easiest to accomplish: exhaust. A member of the FJR forum will send me a set.


Update: I did get a set of exhaust for the bike from an FJR forum member shipped to me from Seattle. I need to make a separate post about what I discovered about him and his connection to the motorcycle industry.

I've not installed the exhaust yet. I pulled the headlight and front bodywork off last weekend to inspect the damage from the deer incident. The headlight was trashed with only two tabs remaining that hadn't been cracked or broken off. I'm sure it didn't help that I had been riding like that after the impact.

The new headlight has arrived, but I'm also awaiting parts to convert the lower fairings into the newer style with the integrated turn signals.

You can see five tabs are missing from the
headlight in front. One of those remaining
is cracked and another has no structural
significance - it merely attaches to a piece
of plastic.

In the meantime, I'm working on a wiring harness to install some accessory LED lights into the headlight. I've also ordered some driving light mounts from a forum member that will mount underneath the mirrors. I've been trying to figure out how to get that to work well. I have places to mount relays for these things except the relay sockets are not readily available at the handful of stores (from electronic to automotive) that I visited. I did finally find a place online that might be able to help (Eastern Beaver Company) but I will have to wait for shipping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or would I "farkle" it until I can ride it no longer


"FARKLE"...NEVER HEARD OF THAT WORD BEFORE, BUT I LOVE IT!!