Saturday, May 12, 2007

An end to senseless bruise drama

Okay, this is the third week. The stupid bruise is almost gone. I'm no longer in any pain and there's just a mild discoloration. By the end of week two, it had turned a dark brown color and began to shrink in size.

Yes, it's sad that I've only had this bruise to talk about for three weeks! I've been very busy with work and decidedly haven't gotten out much. Gas prices jumped about $0.25 a gallon - or a bit more - though there's talk from Austin about taking away the state's $0.20 per gallon gasoline tax for the three months of summer.

Despite paying near $3.00 a gallon, I managed to go for a ride after work. It's been one of those weeks where you think you're about to finish something when you get caught in a middle of a sandstorm and everything is messed up and you have to start all over again. I wondered if I was going to accomplish anything at all... And it's been a six day work week. Frustration on top of aggravation. Mood = not that good.

So, I'm just trying to let go. It's getting harder as my riding season is fading away into summer (when it's too hot to ride a lot). The weather yesterday was absolutely perfect. It started and ended in the low 70's and never got too hot. Perfect for an extended trip of a week or two. I could smell it in the air.

I thought riding last night would help me clear my head. Instead, I thought a lot about all the rides I've done and who I've ridden with. I thought about mistakes I've made and the problems with me - now.

Despite that, two noteworthy things happened. I saw the post-sunset (it was still somewhat light out at 9PM) at my favorite scenic view in the Hill Country. No picture, but it was stunning with the clouds and hills hinting at reds and blues and playing with shadows. I had also had dinner at McDonalds in Hondo (I think...) where a little girl on the other side of the glass in the play gym decided to make friends with me. She'd see me eating (and being very serious), run up to the window and wave. I'd turn my head, smile and maybe do a little wave. She'd chuckle and run off. This happened numerous times. It's good to know I can still make friends. (?!)

In all, I rode about 125 miles. I got home late, but I was ready for bed and fell asleep easily - though I had weird dreams (thanks to all that thinking). That was rather nice for a mid-week (for me) ride.

One more day of work and then maybe I'll surprise my wife with a birthday treat. Then again, she may not go for it and I'll sit another weekend out...

No comments: