Friday, February 23, 2007

Sarcasm

I've noticed that the people I work with use sarcasm a lot. I've been in other work environments where sarcasm is prevalent. It can be hard to deal with when you don't know a person is just kidding around. But I can understand the desire to be or seem "mean" given the challenging circumstances where we work.

However, when dealing with customers, one must tread lightly. Some people don't appreciate adult humor (I'm not going to elaborate) and some people won't figure out a joke unless they're quickly told it's a joke. As a practice, when I kid someone - anyone - I try to let on to my humor as quickly as possible to prevent the feeling of getting "highbrowed" or insulted.

Of course, of all the people there, I'm the most serious of the bunch, so I suppose that it concerns me more than the rest. *Sigh*

No comments: