Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Beautiful Monday

Ah... Yesterday was a perfect finale to a very cold week. The skies were blue, the air was warm (a very enjoyable - almost warm - 68° F). It was perfect riding weather. So, as you might imagine, I probably headed off to the hill country for a nice, long ride, right?

Nope. Not at all.

My wife and I were getting some blood work done at the doctor's office. I figured I'd go riding after that. But I got a call from Tanya at the Blood Bank who asked me if I would be available to donate platelets again. It just so happened that I was available that afternoon. So after our doctor appointment ended, we grabbed lunch and went down to the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center off I-10 near Vance Jackson.

I'm very poor at reading my emails, but they sent this to me just a few days ago:
The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center is calling out to the community with a pressing message to urge all eligible blood donors to give blood. All blood types are needed to help boost the community blood supply, which was threatened last month during the severe weather that affected many parts of the nation and impacted the blood supply. Currently, the blood level is at a critical level, meaning that there is less than a one day supply of blood, far less than the necessary three to four day supply needed to adequately serve the community.

The importance of your blood donation is directly tied to our present need. Your donation of blood or platelets will ensure that patients, young and old, receive the necessary transfusions. Blood is perishable and has a shelf life of only 42 days, so the need for blood is constant. You can be the link that makes a difference in our community. Be a model advocate for donating blood by helping us during this critical time and connecting for life.
I don't know when I'll next be available to donate, so I do as much as I can whenever I can. I also figure that by donating now, I'm helping not only myself but other bikers who might need what I can freely give. Despite the fact that some places will actually pay for your donations, I have a better feeling about donating. I've also heard that the risks involved are a lot lower than the pay-for-blood places... Regardless, I've always been a fan of helping other people. If I gave up a day of riding to do so, then hey - a little bit of my time to save another person's life is worth it.

If you're eligible to donate, you should consider doing so yourself. Then again, you also get free juice and cookies! Ha ha!

No comments: