Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The dreaded first post

This is the defining moment, my first comments to the world. I will capture the attention of my now-captive audience and inspire them to do great things with their collective lives. I will shake the pillars of our civilization and challenge the very precepts we assume for perpetuating our little, human lives.

And I will fail miserably.

Why am I starting this blog? If my wife can do it, I can too. But I have no problem letting her be better at it. In fact, I fully expect her blog to be slick, full of attentive responses and captivating posts. Mine will be a mere shadow.

It's not that I'm living out the movie Stepford Wives, or any such nonsense. Rather, I'll spend my time riding my motorcycle instead of perfecting the next sentence. Heck, I'd rather be riding right now. Which brings me to a curious observation: I'm nearly a thousand miles away from home and I brought my truck and my laptop - and I'm writing about riding. To say that I'm disturbed by this curious sequence of events is to say too little. I'd rather have ridden here, screw the computer and the change of clothes!

So am I just getting older? Is it because I freaked my boss out when I told him I needed a week off to go see some family (and he highly encouraged me to not ride - more on this later)? Am I finally bowing to years of pressure from the rest of my family? Was it simply more practical to take four wheels instead of four? It's above 50 degrees right now (okay, so it is February)... One of the first places I visited when I arrived here was a bike shop! Why am I not riding again?

I don't know the answer quite for sure, but it certainly bothers me. And if I'm not posting, let's all hope that it's because I'm out riding. And if you're out there riding, too - I'll wave! I don't need to brag about all my exploits to feel good about myself - or even have the best blog. I just need to have the rubber side down and the wind blowing over my helmet!

See you out there!

No comments: