Saturday, February 17, 2007

Riding in the Cold

Riding yesterday was as I expected - cold! Such experiences usually teach me a thing or two, which is why I look forward to them. It was certainly the coldest weather I've ridden in, as the morning low was 25° F; my previous low was an unofficial 28° F. However, that last low did not happen during a simple commute - it occurred over two days of riding with a good story and pictures to boot.

So, what did I learn this time? Smart wool socks underneath my Alpinestar boots worked well. Even with the liner in my First Gear riding pants, I still got a little bit of a draft just above my boots. I need to keep the waist of my Millini touring jacket cinched, but it will still be drafty. Wearing a turtleneck with that jacket was a good idea, though more bulky insulative clothing - like a vest - might have been a nice improvement for a longer ride (there's not much room in the arms with the liner in). My riding gloves - even with liners - aren't any good at keeping the cold out of my fingertips at these temperatures. Perhaps I do need to install the wind deflectors I scavenged off the XT... The balaclava I used is nice, but could still use a neckwarmer for longer rides. And no matter what, I can still tell when I'm sitting on a cold seat.

Which reminds me: a few years ago, them mere mention of heated grips and heated seats brought about all kinds of scorn at the bike shop I worked out. Times have changed and attitudes have crept into the 21st century. Our shop now sells a kit for ATV's (which can be adapted to any vehicle with handlebars) for only $25. That's quite a bargain compared to what I've seen on 'teh internet.'

As for riding in the cold, I must admit that I am very glad I rode to work yesterday. You see, the clouds cleared out the night before, allowing a lot of heat to radiate, cooling our area. The morning was cloudless, and the sun shone brightly. The day warmed up very nicely, and today will be even warmer. The cold was a precursor to warmer, more beautiful weather. It wasn't simply enjoyable in and of itself, it was a joy in predicting things to come!

4 comments:

Heck Wyatt said...

I love smart wool.

The Road Runner said...

Yup. I've used it for driving on those 1,000 mile trips and they stay fresh enough to wear them two days straight!

Anonymous said...

so what about the dumb sheep, do they just get tossed aside? thats not very fair..

The Road Runner said...

We keep the dumb sheep in a very, very special place, Lani.




Lamb chops, anyone?