Monday, September 24, 2012

2,000

I've reached 2000 miles this past week. The time has just flown by, and so have the miles! As my familiarity increases, the more comfortable I feel with Midnight. She pulls strong down low and brakes well. I love how she handles, though I wish the seat was a little higher!

I dropped the bike in my driveway recently. I made the mistake of trying to ride off with a disc brake lock still attached. However, I was able to instruct a (relatively) new rider on how easy it is to lift a bike from its side by means of demonstration since what little damage the bike had would not be increased.

(Incidentally, you put your butt against the saddle, pull the lowest handlebar in towards yourself and use your legs to push up and against the bike, walking it into an upright position. If the bike is on its left side, try putting the bike in gear. If the bike is on its right side, put the kickstand down and grab the brake lever when lifting the bike. Either way, it will help prevent the bike from rolling away when lifting it!)

See also: How to Lift a Bike

Next time, I'll use a "disc reminder," a stretchy plastic cord that hooks over the handlebar on one end and through the lock on the other. (My excuse: my old one disintegrated. That's the honest truth!)



The state of Texas and the city San Antonio wants you to know this by posting this on their electronic signs:


I positively agree. Driving safely and texting later is not worth it. I'd like to text those people slowing down on the on ramp (formally known as "acceleration lanes") to get a little less safe and a little more on the throttle! Driving like you're afraid of the road kills me!

No comments: