Thursday, January 3, 2008

Two Weeks: Happy New Year

I find it hard to believe that two weeks have gone by. So much has happened, yet so much has stayed the same.


Riding in the cool.

My neighbor Doug and I took off about a week ago to do this ride north of San Antonio, stopping at Kendalia to chat and chill. Doug discovered that a good pair of winter gloves goes a long way. I carried a spare pair of Olympias which he used after his hands began to numb (after about 15 minutes). They are now on permanent loan. :)


The kindness of strangers.

I witnessed a single-vehicle accident on Evans Road where a truck nearly flipped after losing control. The lady driving it was okay but shaken up. Selma's first response team is probably three or four times faster than San Antonio's. Never underestimate the kindness of strangers or family. I remember the time my car spun out (thanks to an aggressive driver approaching me on an on-ramp). I ran up on the barrier, destroying both wheels on the right side. The driver did not stop to check on me. Nor did anyone else for that matter. It would have been nice since the temperature was dropping rapidly and I couldn't get the car started!

Misery can be the lack of company.

Christmas and New Year's was spent alone with my wife. It was good to be around her, but we really missed our family. Probably our least favorite holiday season together.

Holiday traffic.

The lows have consistently been in the low 30's, making for some "interesting" rides to work in the morning. It's nice that school is out for another week in our neighborhood; the lack of traffic makes the commute a lot less stressful.

Now I'm back to getting ready for yet another day. It's 30° and I'm ready to ride!

No comments: