Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Periodontitis

I usually write about motorcycle-related topics, but this one is differnt.

I had been experiencing painful headaches for several months now. I suspected that these headaches came from temperature differences where I worked with an air conditioning system that always made my work area uncomfortable. But with ruling out the likelihood of an ear infection (after several pointless doctor visits) I decided to see a dentist.

In retrospect, I had a number of warning signs:
  • My teeth felt loose when I ate;
  • Hot and cold foods occasionally made my gums and teeth hurt;
  • I had bad breath that never seemed to go away.
The headache probably came from an infection under my gum line.

Looking back, I can see how this problem developed:
  • I spent long hours at work without brushing (frequently between 10 and 14 hours);
  • several LAN parties that skipped brushing altogether while consuming sugar-laden sodas and energy drinks;
  • I can only imagine the thousands of sodas I've consumed over the past few years;
  • and in which time I've not visited a dentist for a regular cleaning.

A regular checkup with x-rays determined that I suffered from periodontal disease. According to the dentist, I was in the early stages of the disease. If treated, it could likely be reversed. If left untreated, a regular cleaning could actually "trap" the offending bacteria and tartar buildup and make my situation worse.

My treatment involved some local anesthesia and scaling of the teeth above and below the gum line. One side was done at a time, for which I was grateful. I wouldn't be able to talk or eat anything if my whole mouth had been numbed! I experienced some soreness for a couple days after each treatment. Afterwards, I followed up with a salt rinse the day of the treatment (as an antiseptic) and regular brushing, flossing and rinsing with Oxyfresh. According to my periodontist, the follow-up maintenance has worked very well. So with regular at-home maintenance and a few checkups confirming my progress, I should be well on my way back to health.

I made a few minor lifestyle changes which will help me continue improving my dental health:
  • I bring a "dental kit" with me to work so I can brush and floss after lunch;
  • I floss at least once a day;
  • I use the Oxyfresh mouthwash treatment at least once a day;
  • I make it a point to brush my teeth at the very least twice a day.
I've noticed that I don't feel well, even uncomfortable when I've not brushed my teeth after eating, so it reminds me if I've been neglectful.

If my experience helps someone get to a dentist - or encourage a lifestyle change (like brushing after grabbing a meal before hours of more riding!) then this post is worth it.

SalĂșd!




Useful Links:

Wikipedia
Studio Dentaire
Thomas H. Holmes
National Dental Centre

No comments: