Monday, January 14, 2008

The Sunrise Ride

There are times I intentionally ride without a camera. I can focus on the ride and enjoy the moment without forcing myself to be distracted by possible photographic "opportunities." As I let my mind focus on riding, I push aside photography and all my other thoughts. In recanting the story, you must use your mind's eye to experience what I felt.

Last Sunday I headed to the far west of the Hill Country, starting in Junction and heading south and east to return to San Antonio. I left early in the morning to beat the traffic and maximize my quality riding time. By the time dawn began to break, temperatures had dropped below 50°. I began to wish I had brought warmer gloves...

But as the sun approached the eastern horizon, stealthily pursuing the night-time stars, a crescent moon lay buoyed above layers of gray, purple and blue. Above the open crescent of the moon shone a bright star - probably Venus - suspended in the cloudless interim of night and day. A gentle breeze could have pushed it off its shelf, landing in the moon's cusp. So delicate this morning procession! Yet, after just a few minutes, the purple and blue turned to orange and the moon and the stars faded away in the procession of the sun's glory.

Revelling in this fading display, I pressed onward through Rock Springs down highway 674, which I've not visited in several years. Familiar scenery brought back memories of carving through corners, dipping through little valleys crossing easily flooded bridges, and resting along the side of the road, mesmerized by the grand valley to the east. A river cut through this semi-arid valley. A mist shrouded the hills in the distance. This area soothed my soul.


View Larger Map

I approached my next series of challenges. I narrated my plan. Go up and down a hill. Go up and sweep right. Sweep left around a blind turn. Got it. The elevation changes were uneventful. Nice. Right sweeper - felt a little off. Let's go through the left a little slower, ensure a nice, steady line. Ah, this is good...

As I'm beginning to straighten the bike and look through the turn to the straightaway, a sudden horror siezed my attention: a large deer in mid-air right in my path. I backed off the throttle and reached for my brake, but it was too late. As soon as my hand touched the brake, the rear hoof had already cleared my front tire - and barely! I let out a loud, embarassing expletive. Damn those suicidal deer! I was extremely fortunate this time! Thoughts of an accident on this very empty road (I didn't see a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction the entire time I was on 674!) left me thinking about how my unborn child would have had to live without his father, or how I would have to care for myself until help arrived if anyone managed to find me! I eased away from my previous enthusiasm to settle down and enjoy the rest of the ride for the getaway I meant it to be.

Those deer - the bane of safe riding - nearly spoiled my otherwise normal ride. I could have done without the scare, though it did make me think about my priorities. I returned to San Antonio via 337 and 16. If I was fortunate, I could make church on time (I did). Given the relevance of the message, I suspect that God intended for me to make that service.

Though I'd like to travel a little farther west, I'll probably put that off for a couple more months - and not ride quite so early in the morning. And maybe next time I'll stop for a few fresh pictures.

Here's a few pictures of the area I took back in November of 2003:

Route 674 looking northeast.

Route 674 looking east.

Route 674 looking south.

Route 674 looking south.

Route 674 looking north.

Route 674 looking east.

Soaking in the scenery.

No comments: