Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Funny Wednesday

Wednesdays aren't always fun. But during the week, things can slow down at the shop, and a few moments of idle time can turn into a ball of laughter.

Motorcycles come in large cardboard boxes reinforced by a metal cage to which the bike and its not-yet-assembled components come attached. These boxes, if one is careful, can be removed largely intact. One of the PDI (pre-delivery and inspection) guys took one of these boxes, cut out a couple windows, made a swinging door and drew a doorknob on it. Passing by, I added a sign hanging from the doorknob that said, "Home sweet home." We were planning on using a large piece of styrofoam to make a chimney, but I got called away before the "house" was completed. They disposed of it before I could snap an incriminating picture!

One of the mechanics got a haircut last night - if you could call it a haircut. The sides of his head were shaved and the middle patch was pushed up into a pointy mohawk. You can't really tell anything is unusual since this usually very conservative fellow almost always wears his hat. But, he is young. Naturally, this spurred some competition with one of the "older" mechanics who decided to shave his long wavy hair off the sides of his head, too. Naturally, it was a big mess. When he told his wife about it, I'm sure she thought he was kidding. I'm wagering the rest of the mop will be gone tomorrow at her urging.

So when I come home, my wife and I decide to watch a little television. Starting a few months ago, a comercial she absolutely hates (and I think is funny) comes on. She uses the DVR remote to mute the tv. I use the tv remote to un-mute it. Well, we discovered that the television will mute/unmute about three times a second. Today, the mute wars escalated to using the volume button on a commercial I didn't want to listen to and she thought would be funny to make me hear it! I would mute the television only to have her simply turn the volume up. So not only would the tv get unmuted, it would be louder than before I muted it! Since two can play at that game, I hit the volume down button. Aha! Turning the volume down overrides turning the volume up! But I'd let off for a few seconds and she'd turn the volume up again! Mind you, we were laughing hysterically the whole time - I was in danger of a hernia by the time the show came back on. (Whoever says commercials aren't as entertaining as programming has never watched tv with my wife!)

I'm glad that I'm surrounded by people with a good sense of humor. I take myself seriously too often, so I look forward to and enjoy the many laughs provided by the fun people around me.

Good night!

No comments: