Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Feasting on Asphalt

I took my computer down for a LAN party this weekend; it's finally up and running again today. So, yes I actually do have interests outside of riding! But I've been meaning to post, despite busyness getting in the way.

So I managed to catch Feasting on Asphalt this past weekend. The wife was good enough to record it for me. Alton Brown passed through Natchez, Mississippi and followed the Natchez Trace Parkway into Tennessee. Along the way, every cook he met refused to divulge their secret ingredients, though he did manage to have the best spaghetti. donuts and fried chicken he's ever tasted along the way.

The parkway has special meaning to me, as it was the route I chose to take home after attending my grandfather's funeral. The road was long, strait, slow and cold. I thought about camping, but I was not really prepared for near freezing temperatures, so I spent the night in a hotel in Natchez. The next day I rode for at least six hours in rain. It cleared up just outside San Antonio, where it suddenly became very warm!

But as for feasting, a birthday miracle happened. My wife joined me for a (very) brief ride to the donut shop where we had breakfast. She enjoyed herself, though I think she thinks she was more terrified than anything. The likelihood of this recurrence is supposed to be good, but we'll just have to wait and see. I've been waiting nearly eight years for her to join me on even a semi-regular basis. She did very well for an inexperienced rider, though she was afraid she'd fall of the back. It makes sense, even if I know very well that I'd have to pull a massive wheelie and catch her by surprise for that to happen!

I'd like to point out that one can never force another person to ride with you. It's stupid and dangerous, too. However, being open to new experiences helps a lot.

So, I'd like to publicly thank my wife for joining me in "feasting on asphalt." My, that was a good bear claw. And the company was excellent, too!


This is not how I ride!
You're not going to fall off the back!

My apologies for the previous picture
going bad. It was linked from an external site.

No comments: