Friday, February 1, 2008

A Balanced Approach

Should I keep riding or sell the bike? This choice bothered me for months. I found my answer where I least expected it.

I could use these excuses to quit:
  • Deer. They want to get me.
  • Money. I spend a lot just to ride.
  • Time. Riding keeps me from other responsibilities.
  • Pain. I don't want to die or get injured.
  • Family. My family should come before riding.
Since I'll soon become a father, I have doubts about whether my family can afford my motorcycle addiction. I don't want to take time, money or presence away from my wife and baby because of a personal commitment to wants rather than needs.

People tend to tell me one of two things:
  • I should sell the bike and quit riding. I hear this all the time. This knee-jerk reaction really gets old. These people don't care what I do - they just hate motorcycles!
  • I should keep the bike. They say I deserve to indulge myself occasionally. This approach ignores the fact that I must meet my family's needs before my personal entertainment.
I mentioned some of my thoughts to a recently acquired friend.

I said, "I struggle with the thought that riding may have become an idol in my life."

He replied, "It is good that you struggle."

Finally, someone demonstrated genuine insight without passing judgment! He reaffirmed my passion for motorcycles and my commitment to family. For the first time, someone provided a response - not a reaction - to my riding.

When the time comes, I will make the decision - one way or the other - to keep or sell the bike.

In the meantime, I will ride conservatively, enjoy my commute and take smaller rides. After all, a balanced approach will avoid the trappings of judgmental reactions.

No comments: