Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Reckoning?

Image courtesy of babyblues.com

As I sent a text message to my wife after fueling up the FJR after work last night, it dawned to me that I had assumed she would be alright if I took a quick after-work ride before coming home. In the following months, she will depend on me more and more to look after her needs as she advances in pregnancy. After that, we will have to carefully plan and coordinate time away - both together and alone time - so that our child will be cared for in the meantime.

So, yeah this ride was a little last taste of freedom. However, it also reminded me that with the joy of a family comes not with a burden of responsibility, but rather a joyful commitment that must take precedence over my spontaneous adventures. My future rides will be planned breaks from the daily life, incorporated into a deeper sense of commitment and accountability to my family. I must return safe to care for and enjoy them.

So, yeah. Maybe I'll ride a little more conservatively. I'll plan more rides. But I can't see myself stopping - at least anytime soon!

No comments: